Welcome to the SLYC website. Please use the above menu items to sign up for membership and programs.
SLYC Commodore's Message: Winter 2019
Happy New Year SLYC members and welcome to 2019! It's hard to believe but the days are getting longer already and your SLYC board is hard at it planning for summer of 2019.
Every couple of years the SLYC board collects feedback with an end of season survey to the membership. Based on the great feedback we received in the 2017 survey, here are some of the things we've been focusing our energies on.
1. The board met via teleconference with staff from Sail Ontario to discuss our long term vision for the club as well as a "health check" relating to compliance issues and policies, employment standards, health and safety, and insurance to name a few. There was also discussion regarding programming challenges to match the ongoing needs of our membership and you will see some follow up on this in the summer
2. The resurfacing on Court 1 was started in fall 2018 and will be completed in the late spring 2019.
3. A pickle ball court will be built up on the hill between Courts 1 & 3 made possible largely through donations from our membership. The hope is that it will be built and ready for use in 2019.
4. A new job position has been created titled "Executive Officer of Operations” that will aid the SLYC board and its membership in developing new program initiatives to meet the needs of its members. It’s a 10 week position aimed at a very mature young adult with strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills and will focus on helping the board develop performance metrics, training and evaluation for our staff, ensuring compliance in regards to employment standards, health and safety, and assisting with business policies including payroll.
5. The current "Operations Manager" position has been restructured to “Operations Administrator” focusing on administrative duties that will also assist in streamlining the Head Sailing Instructor position. This initiative will help us deliver a higher caliber sailing program that allows junior sailing instructors more time on the water, providing for more student evaluation/feedback time and instructor development/feedback.
Your 2019 SLYC board is committed and working hard at helping fulfill the vision of the club. We revisited what was laid out by Don Walter and the 2007 board and found there was little to improve on so have left it as is stated below:
"SLYC is a family friendly club with a strong sense of community, committed to providing excellent, sustainable sailing, tennis and social programs and events to meet the need and wishes of our members.
Our volunteers and paid staff are dedicated to professional standards, which are achieved through effective leadership and skill development training, especially for younger members, to enhance their capabilities in their careers and community roles."
Don Walter 2007/12/19
We look forward to reconnecting with everyone in spring 2019,
All the best,